Do you call it Green Travel, Ecotourism, sustainable tourism or responsible travel? It’s not the labels we use but rather the actions that we take as contentious B & B owners that defines us as a Green Hotel and this is our commitment.
“We have made a strong commitment to be environmentally conscious and to educate and encourage others to live in an environmentally responsible manner. We use the 3R’s as a basis from our green policy. We Reduce, Reuse, Recycle”
Reduce Energy and Water Conservation
- Towels and sheets are replaced every third day, unless requested
- We use of only environmentally-friendly biodegradable soaps and detergents
- Use of a front loading high efficiency Energy Star washer that uses less water
- Purchase towels that are soft yet quick dry to reduce drying time
- Use of cold water wash for laundry
- Use of low flow marine toilets to conserve water
- Use motion detectors on our exterior lighting
- Water reduction through more efficient appliances and fixtures.
- We Purchase only Energy Star compliant appliances.
- Use of programmable thermostats for controlling temperature in common area
- Use of low voltage LED lighting in all fixtures and lamps
- Encourage guests to turn off lights when leaving the room
- We grow our own herbs seasonally
- We have 2 bikes available for guests to use encourage earth-friendly transportation
Re-use and Re-cycle
- Educate and encourage our guests to recycle plastic, glass, paper, and metal products
- Separate recycling waste if improperly disposed of by guests
- Use of recycled paper products
- Use of wall-mounted dispensers for biodegradable soaps and shampoos in our showers
- Donate all towels and linens to local charities for reuse
- Limit use of disposable cleaning products
- Consider environmental factors in all purchasing decisions
- Biodegradable Keurig coffee pods
Making Waves Boatel was the first B & B in Canada to be awarded the prestigious Trip Advisor Green Leaders Badge. Since that time we have converted all of our light fixtures and lamps bulbs to energy efficient low-voltage LED aboard the Boatel. This year we have sourced biodegradable coffee pods for our guest coffee machine which are made almost entirely from plant materials and reclaimed coffee bean skins.
We hope that you decided to stay with us because of our commitment to being a green hotel or green B & B in Toronto.