Some people call it green travel, ecotourism, eco-accommodations, sustainable travel, sustainable tourism or responsible travel? It’s not the labels we use but rather the actions that we take as contentious B & B owners that defines us as an eco-friendly or green accommodation and our commitment to the environment.
“Living on the water for 15 years, we have made a strong commitment to be environmentally conscious and to educate and encourage others to live in an environmentally responsible manner. We use the 3R’s as a basis from our green policy. We Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and continue to develop ways to act responsibly. ”
Diane & Ted Greene
Reduce Energy and Water Conservation
- Towels and sheets are replaced every third day, unless requested
- We use of only environmentally-friendly biodegradable soaps and detergents
- We use white vinegar and a few drops of essential oils instead of fabric softeners
- Use of a front loading high efficiency Energy Star washer that uses less water
- Purchase towels that are soft yet quick dry to reduce drying time
- Use of cold water wash for laundry
- Use of low flow marine toilets to conserve water
- Use motion detectors for our exterior lighting
- Purchase only Energy Star compliant appliances.
- Use of programmable thermostats for controlling temperature in common areas
- All light fixtures have been converted to low voltage LED
- Encourage guests to turn off lights when leaving the room
- We grow our own herbs seasonally
- We have 2 bikes available for guests to use encourage the use of city buses instead of driving.
Re-use and Re-cycle
- Educate and encourage our guests to recycle plastic, glass, paper, and metal
- Separate recycling waste if improperly disposed of by guests
- Use recycled paper products
- Use wall-mounted dispensers for biodegradable soaps and shampoos in our showers
- Donate all towels and linens to local charities for reuse
- Consider environmental factors in all purchasing decisions
- Biodegradable Keurig coffee pods
Making Waves Boatel was the first B & B in Canada to be awarded the prestigious Trip Advisor Green Leaders Badge. Since that time we have converted all of our light fixtures and lamps bulbs to energy efficient low-voltage LED aboard the Boatel. This year we have sourced biodegradable coffee pods for our guest coffee machine which are made almost entirely from plant materials and reclaimed coffee bean skins.
We hope that you decided to stay with us because of our commitment to being a green hotel or green B & B in Toronto.